After several preliminary meetings, the New York Paint, Oil and Varnish Club was formed on February 26, 1887, at a dinner being given at Delmonico’s downtown establishment, at which time were present representatives from all the prominent firms in the allied trades. The Organization Committee consisted of R.P. Rowe, secretary of the Brooklyn White Lead Company; J. Seaver Page of F.W. Devoe & Company; and M. Sondheim of Sondheim, Alsberg & Company
General E.L. Moulineux of C.T. Raynolds & Company was elected president, and W.B. Templeton of the Oil, Paint and Drug Reporter, secretary and treasurer, the Organization Committee being elected as an Executive Committee. At the initial meeting the following guests were present representing the Paint, Oil and Varnish Club of New England: President John D. Morton, Vice President W.H. Drury, Treasurer E.H. Nash and Secretary William Aggee. Starting off with enthusiasm and the object of creating and promoting better relations among its members, our Association has grown from an original membership of two dozen firms to the present membership of nearly 217 firms (400 members) and has firmly demonstrated what can be accomplished by collective undertaking under the banner of cooperation.
In addition to concerns engaged in the manufacture of paints, lacquers and varnishes, our Association roster includes leading houses whose business is the making or selling of allied products.
In 1933, at a convention held in Chicago, the National Paint, Oil and Varnish Association, Inc., with which our Association was affiliated, merged the two national associations (the National Paint, Oil and Varnish Association, Inc. and the American Paint and Varnish Manufacturers’ Association, Inc.) into the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association, Inc., one organization representing all branches of the industry. At that time the New York Paint, Oil and Varnish Club became the New York Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association, affiliated with the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association, Inc.
Under date of August 9, 1955, the Association was incorporated under the laws of the State of New York. Under date of August 22, 1972, a certificate of change in name to NEW YORK PAINT AND COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC. was filed with the New York Secretary of State.
Under date of July 1, 1987, a certificate of change in name to the METROPOLITAN NEW YORK PAINT AND COATINGS ASSOCIATION, INC. was filed with the New York Secretary of State.
OBJECTIVES OF MNYPCA
The objectives of this association shall be to promote the welfare and interests of its members within this community; to promote the welfare of the industry as a whole through cooperation with the National Paint and Coatings Association, Inc.; to provide its members with management information, education and an opportunity for idea exchange. It is expressly recognized that the Association is not intended, nor shall it be used, directly or indirectly, to restrict free and lawful competition.